When a new year comes around I always make some changes to the blog as a way to mark the new year and a fresh start. Nothing major, just a little tweak here and there to change the look of the blog altogether.
You’re probably thinking “there is no way I’m touching a thing on my blog”. I completely get it. It wasn’t always easy for me too. When I first started blogging I wanted to customize my blog so bad but I couldn’t afford a web designer and I was too chicken to touch an html code.
But if you’re a WordPress user, you’re in luck.
If you’re ready to give your blog a makeover but you’re not comfortable customizing it yourself and don’t want to get into a whole redesign just yet, there are some little things you can do that can make a big difference and really change the look of your blog.
And the good news is, all you have to do is go to the customize page from your WordPress dashboard. Check out the image below:
When you click on appearance, then customize, it will take you to the customize screen like the image below. On the left hand side you’ll see the options to make customizations without touching the CSS.
Give Your Blog A Quick Makeover
I’m about to show you several things you can change from the customize page of your WordPress dashboard to give your blog a quick makeover.
Change The Accent Color
You can change the default color for the button hover and the background color of the footer widget. From the customize screen click on colors and when that tab opens up, click the select color box and change it to the color of your choice and save your changes.
Change The Header
To get the right dimensions for your header, go to the customize screen and click header image. You’ll see the recommended header size for your theme.
Then go to editor sites like Canva, BeFunky or Pic Monkey to create a new header for your blog. When you’ve created your header image, go back to the customize screen, click header image and select add new image to upload your new header and save changes.
Change The Fonts
You might be cringing at this one but don’t worry, you don’t have to touch the CSS for this one either. You can easily change the font style with a plugin called Easy Google Fonts that gives you the option to choose from over 600 web-friendly fonts.
After installing and activating the plugin, go back to the customize page and click on typpography. Then click on default typography to change the text and heading font style and size and save your changes.
Best Practice Tips
When making changes to your blog it’s important these common best practice tips.
- Avoid dark background settings like and stick to a white or neutral one instead. This helps make your content easier to read.
- Stick to legible fonts. I l love a cute and fancy font myself but as a reader if reading a post becomes hard on my peepers, I’ll be outta there quick.
- Go easy on the affiliate ads. Most of us have affiliate ads as a way to generate income. But we have to think of our readers. Overwhelming them with ads can be a big turn off and so off they’ll go.
- Use cool, professional-looking images. Using attractive images will keep your readers engaged in your content. If you use images for your related posts, you’ll want those eye-catching images to pop out at your audience to give that post a read.
- Update your homepage and About Me pages to keep your bio current.
More Than Just A New Look
So what do these simple touch-ups mean for you and your blog? For starters, it can lower your bounce rate and increase duration of the amount of time spent your blog. Not to mention the increased opportunity for a click-thru or sale and more importantly a new loyal reader!
And it has been said that sprucing up your blog is a sure fire way to cure a case of the blogging blues. So if you’ve been feeling kind of meh with your blog a few changes like the ones I shared above can start to turn that frown upside down.
If you’d like to give your blog a makeover but you’re still a little uneasy about making these changes yourself, I have a special offer just for you.
Starting now through the end of January, I’ll give your blog a makeover with a new header, custom fonts and new color scheme for only $50 USD. Click here to contact me and use BLOG MAKEOVER in the subject line and I’ll be in touch with you to get started!
Over To You
Are you making any plans to give your blog a makeover for the New Year? Tell us what your plans are in the comments section below.
If you know anyone who might find this post helpful, please share it with them.
- Come and Meet The Work-at-Home Wife - January 16, 2017
- Work-from-Home Job Lead Round Up - January 14, 2017
- Five Tools Every Beginner Blogger Needs - January 13, 2017
- Quick Changes You Can Make To Give Your Blog A Makeover - January 9, 2017
- Work-from-Home Job Lead Round Up - January 7, 2017
- How Work-from-Home Jobs Have Changed Over The Years - January 6, 2017
- How To Create A Blogging Plan - January 4, 2017
- What’s New In 2017 On Not Now Mom’s Busy - January 2, 2017
- How to Keep the Grandkids Entertained Over the Holiday Break - December 13, 2016
- Three Important Things To Do Before Going Offline For The Holidays - December 5, 2016