I don’t know about you, but I’m just not a winter person. Which is ironic, since I live in Canada. I grew up in northern British Columbia, which meant frigid cold and six feet of snow. Now I live in southern BC, which is probably the warmest place you can live and still be north of the border. I love it here. I love the lake, the beaches, the mountains and the dry hot summers.
But we still get winter. I tend to hibernate. I stay inside with the fire on and drink tea and watch a lot of movies and read a lot of books. So by spring, I have cabin fever and I can’t wait to get outside and play!
Which is why spring is probably my favourite season. The earth begins to warm. Buds show on the trees. One day the branches are bare, and the next there’s green shoots. The sun gets warmer and the smells are delicious! You can literally feel the earth waking up!
Spring is also symbolic of our lives. When we are in the ‘spring’ of our lives, we are young children. Our lives are fresh and new and anything is possible.
There are also other spring seasons in our lives. Whenever we begin something new, or start over, or our lives go in a new direction, it is a spring season. There is huge potential, new possibilities, and a sense of excitement and ‘anything could happen.’ It’s exhilarating!
Spring can be a time of reflection as well. A time to get rid of the old and start something new. Isn’t that what we do when we spring clean our homes? We are getting rid of the dust, grime and clutter of the past year and starting fresh. Our homes sparkle again, fresh and renewed after a dormant season, ready for the warm weather and sunshine. The windows shine and let the light in. Surfaces are clean and clear. Everything is ready for the new season.
Don’t you feel fantastic when you home is clean? It brings a fresh, vibrant energy to everything, and it reflects our inner excitement for the warmer weather and all that it brings.
Spring cleaning of our house is a ritual that most of us do, because of how it makes us feel.
What if you did the same with YOU?
What if you did some spring cleaning of your heart?
How would it make you feel?
Here’s what I mean by that. Our hearts can get cluttered and grimy, just like our homes. In fact, your heart is the center of your body, which is your home on this earth. And when it gets neglected, it gets dusty and dirty. Mothballs in corners. Dust bunnies under the furniture. Clutter on all the surfaces. It needs a cleaning!A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. Nelson Mandela #quoteClick To Tweet
When you neglect the condition of your heart, things pile up. Unresolved issues. Feelings that have been buried. Hurts that linger. Anger that has been shut down. Relationships that aren’t working. Self harm. Self hate. Doubt. Insecurity. Fear.
Your heart gets gunked up with all the stuff you’ve been ignoring. And when that happens, you’re unable to hear your heart’s voice. It’s buried and muffled. You only feel all the stuff that’s sitting around, waiting to be dealt with. And the more stuff that’s sitting around, the worse you feel. Depression hangs around. Anxiety becomes a companion. Or maybe you just feel numb – checked out, flatline, unable to FEEL anything at all.
These are all clues that your heart needs a spring cleaning.
A heart detox is in order.
No different than a detox that you do for your body, to clear out the residual toxins, you can detox your heart, to rid itself of the residual toxins. Because believe me, allowing this stuff to remain in your heart is toxic. It chokes the life out of your heart, creates sluggishness, and causes disease.
If you have been eating crap your whole life, then a body detox is going to take some time, right? You will go through withdrawal symptoms. You feel like crap for a while, as things get stirred up. Headaches, stomach issues, mood swings. Your body is getting rid of the toxins, and in order to do that they have to get stirred up before they can pass. And depending on how much toxin is in there, depends on how long it takes and how bad you will feel while it’s getting flushed out.
No different than with a heart detox. If you’ve been stuffing your feelings your whole life, it’s going to take some time. You will feel like crap for a while, as things get stirred up. You will be uncomfortable. You will feel worse before you feel better. This stuff has been buried for a long time, so it’s going to take some time for it to pass!
If that’s you, you might need some help. A coach can walk you through the process, support you when it feels hard and when you want to give up. As a coach, I am like a personal trainer. I hold you accountable, give you tools, and keep you motivated. I won’t let you give up on yourself until you get what you want!
If you feel like your heart needs some spring cleaning, here are a few steps to get you started.
- Stop Numbing Out. If you are distracting yourself from the state of your heart through food, exercise, alcohol, shopping, TV, or any other way, STOP. Be honest with yourself. If you know you are using a vice to numb out, stop the behaviour for a couple weeks. This will begin to bring up the feelings you have been avoiding. This is the first step to recognizing what needs to be cleaned out.
- Identify What’s Going On. You might need some help with this. You will need to check in with your heart and find out what’s in there that needs to be addressed. Is it anger? Often anger is the mask for deeper levels of pain. Let yourself feel angry! Get it out! Maybe you need to go into the woods and beat a rock with a stick. Or take a kickboxing class. Let yourself feel the anger and release it. Then check in and see what’s under the anger. Those are the real feelings.
- Connect And Listen. Find a way to really listen to your heart. Meditation is great for this. Or yoga. Or talking with a therapist or coach. Experiment here, and begin to build awareness around the feelings that are there.
- Make Things Right. If there are issues with someone, clean it up. Have the tough conversation. Take responsibility for your part, own it, and ask for forgiveness. Listen to what they have to say, even if it’s not what you want to hear.
- Practice Self Love. Forgive yourself! You are a beautiful, whole, lovely human being who is worthy of your love. Look yourself in the mirror every morning – right in the eyes – and say “I love you.” This seems simple, but it’s so powerful! It might be hard at first, but I promise you, if you only do this one thing, you will fall more in love with yourself.
These are some basic steps to detox your heart of some of the toxic waste that’s been hanging around. It’s not easy. And then again, sometimes it is. But it’s so important! If only we took as much care with keeping our hearts clean as we do with our homes, imagine what our lives would be like!You change your life by changing your heart. ~Max Lucado #quoteClick To Tweet
Over To You
So as you enjoy spring break, and begin to look towards summer, consider the state of your heart. Does it need a spring cleaning? Is it ready for a detox? If so, I hope you find that this serves you. Please comment and let me know what you think. And if you are going to act on some of these steps, or all of them, let me know how it’s going. I want to hear from you! And if you really want to address the state of your heart, but feel overwhelmed, terrified and scared to do it alone, please reach out. I would love to walk with you through this journey.
Have a wonderful spring break! xo